Purpose: Examine the underlying cognitive and linguistic processes that support proficient reading skills
Age: 5–21 years
Time: 35 minutes for PK; 60 minutes for K-Grade 1; 75 minutes for Grade 2+;
The Feifer Assessment of Reading (FAR™) is a comprehensive assessment of reading and related processes. It is unique in that it helps you determine the examinee's specific subtype of dyslexia to inform decisions about appropriate interventions.
The FAR™ can be used for an array of purposes, including:
- General screening of dyslexia
- Progress monitoring of discrete skills for school systems operating in an RTI paradigm
- Diagnosis of a learning disability as part of a comprehensive psychological evaluation
- Design of a deficit- or skill-specific intervention.
Examinees in prekindergarten take eight subtests, examinees in kindergarten to Grade 1 take 11 subtests, and examinees in Grade 2+ take 14 subtests. You can choose to administer the full battery or, for a shorter administration time, only the subtests associated with an individual reading index, or individual subtests.
The FAR™ tells you why a student struggles to read so that you can determine how to intervene.
- Addresses four specific subtypes of dyslexia: dysphonetic dyslexia, surface dyslexia, mixed dyslexia, and reading comprehension deficits.
- Comprises 15 individual subtests measuring various aspects of vocabulary, phonological awareness, decoding skills, rapid automatic naming, orthographical processing, morphological processing, word memory, reading fluency (word and story; silent and oral), and comprehension skills.
- Enables you to conduct an item-level skills and error analysis of the examinee's scores on specific subtests and to take a more in-depth look at his or her reading-related behaviors.
- A separate screening form is designed to identify children at risk for developmental dyslexia and measure the underlying processes of reading. Learn more about the FAR Screening Form.
- Five index scores are generated: the Phonological Index, the Fluency Index, the Comprehension Index, the Mixed Index (a composite of Phonological and Fluency index scores), and the FAR Total Index (a composite of all subtest scores).
- Reliable change and discrepancy scores can be calculated.
The FAR and FAR-SF can be scored online via PARiConnect.
FAR Interpretive Report
- Available online through PARiConnect, the FAR Interpretive Report provides scores for all 15 FAR subtests and includes detailed interpretations of index, index discrepancy, and subtest scores.
- Provides targeted reading interventions that are based on current reading research and tailored to your student's age and FAR scores.
- Save time by easily copying and pasting recommendations into your own report.
All PARiConnect purchases made directly through ACER include dedicated local support. Contact our Customer Service Team to set up your account today.
Sample PARiConnect Online FAR Score Report
Sample PARiConnect Online FAR Interpretive Report