The Monteiro Interview Guidelines for Diagnosing the Autism Spectrum, 2nd Edition (MIGDAS-2) is a sensory-based process for gathering and organising the qualitative information needed to diagnose autism in children, adolescents, and adults.
The process includes guidelines for gathering information from parents/caregivers and teachers, and for conducting a sensory-based interview with the individual being evaluated. The end result is a comprehensive behavioral profile that describes the individual’s distinct way of relating to the world, supplementing assessment scores and informing diagnosis and treatment planning.
The MIGDAS-2 process is designed to facilitate writing a narrative evaluation report and providing diagnostic feedback using language that is easily understood by parents and others involved in the individual’s care.
- Interactive interview techniques: The MIGDAS-2 provides detailed, concrete guidelines for conducting interactive diagnostic interviews with children, adolescents, and adults suspected of having ASD.
- Parent/caregiver and teacher participation: The MIGDAS-2 provides structured guidelines for obtaining key information from parents/caregivers and teachers about the individual’s behavior in home and school settings.
- Comprehensive qualitative information: The MIGDAS-2 is a unique evaluation tool that guides the evaluator to make a diagnosis based on direct interactions with the individual being evaluated and the individual’s parents/caregivers and teachers.
- Sensory-based approach: Emphasising the use of sensory materials and encouraging discussion of areas of high interest to the individual, the MIGDAS-2 process provides a system for evaluators to gather distinctive examples of behavior patterns often seen in individuals with ASD.
The MIGDAS-2 interviews require the use of common, sensory-based toys and materials (not included in the Kit purchase). The use of these materials and suggestions for building a sensory-based materials kit are described in the MIGDAS-2 Manual.
The MIGDAS-2 Kit includes:
- MIGDAS-2 Manual
- 25 Forms (5 of each available - 5 x Parent/Caregiver Questionnaire, Teacher Questionnaire, Diagnostic Interview for Individuals With Limited to No Verbal Fluency, Diagnostic Interview for Children and Adolescents With Verbal Fluency, Diagnostic Interview for Adults With Verbal Fluency)