Purpose: Evaluation of executive function strengths and weaknesses in youth
Age: 5–18 years
Time: 15 minutes
The Comprehensive Executive Function Inventory (CEFI) is a versatile instrument that can be used to evaluate an individual using standard scores to compare the youth to a nationally representative norm group. This information can be used to guide assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning. The CEFI is also useful in a variety of research contexts and can be used as an effective tool to evaluate the success of an intervention program.
With 100 items on a Likert-type scale -90 are distributed among the CEFI scales and 10 on the Positive and Negative Impression Scales - the CEFI offers Parent, Teacher, and Self-Report (12 to 18 years) Forms, allowing for a multi-rater perspective of a youth's executive function.
- Attention - Measures how well a youth can avoid distractions, concentrate on tasks, and sustain attention
- Emotion Regulation - measures a youth'scontrol and management of emotions
- Flexibility - Describes how well a youth can adapt to circumstances, including problem solving ability
- Inhibitory Control - reflects a youth's control over behavior or impulses
- Initiation - Describes a youth's ability to begin tasks or projects without being prompted
- Organisation - Describes how well a youth manages personal effects, work, or multiple tasks
- Planning - Reflects how well a youth develops and implements strategies to accomplish tasks
- Self-Monitoring - Describes a youth's self-evaluation of his/her performance or behavior
- Working Memory - Measures how a youth keeps important information in mind in order that he/she know what to do and how to do it, including remembering important things, instructions, and steps
Paper-and-Pencil Administration and Scoring
All CEFI forms can be administered and scored using the MHS QuikScore Forms. The rater writes on the external layers of the form, and the results transfer through to a hidden scoring grid within the internal layers. The assessor then uses the internal layers for tabulating results. Each QuikScore form includes conversion tables, which are used to convert raw scores to T-scores.
Online Administration and Scoring (MHS Assessment Centre+)
The CEFI can be completed and automatically scored online. Online administration allows the assessor the flexibility to send a link to each respondent to complete the assessment at a location (e.g., child care center, school). Assessors using online scoring also have the option of printing E-Paper forms that can be scored online by entering the responses.
There are three types of reports that can be generated from all forms:
- Interpretive Report - Provides detailed results from one administration
- Progress Monitoring and Treatment Effectiveness Report - Provides an evaluation of CEFI score changes over time for up to four administrations from the same rater
- Comparative report - Provides an analysis of scores from two to five different raters
Contact us to set up your online testing account today.
Software Availability Update
Effective December 2020, MHS Scoring Softwares will be retired. Support will be provided for updates or USB issues until December 31, 2021. Response booklets will be available until December 31, 2022.